Having worked for a Fortune 500 utility company, a U.S. senator, and a regional chamber of commerce, Brandon Briscoe brings a breadth of experience to his practice of law. He concentrates his practice in complex business litigation and civil appeals in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Briscoe has litigated and resolved a variety of high-stakes business disputes. In particular, he has represented clients in the health care, oil and gas, and restaurant industries in disputes with their insurance companies. He served on the successful defense team in a trade-secrets case in which the plaintiffs asked a jury for $5 billion in damages. And he has extensive experience in oil-and-gas industry disputes concerning well-control events, pollution claims, personal injuries, and contract disputes.
Mr. Briscoe earned his law degree from The George Washington University Law School in Washington, D.C., where he was selected to teach legal research, writing, and oral advocacy to first-year law students and served on the editorial board of the George Washington International Law Review. A New Orleans native, he is the president of the St. Louis Cathedral pastoral council and president of the board of directors of Dumb Ox Ministries.
- Southern District of Texas (2015). Represented the operator of an onshore gas well in a dispute with its insurer over well-control coverage from the claim-submission process, through litigation and a jury trial, to a successful defense of the multi-million-dollar coverage and penalty interest award on appeal at the U.S. Fifth Circuit.
- Louisiana Supreme Court (2010). Representing the defendant subsidiary before the Louisiana Supreme Court in a serious personal-injury case, served on the briefing team in a successful defense of a divided appeals-court decision dismissing the plaintiff’s case.
*Civil District Court, Orleans Parish (2009). Representing local information-technology companies against developers/manufacturers of crime-camera technology. In this high-profile trade secrets/trade practices case, the jury rejected the plaintiffs’ trade-secrets claim in its entirety.
Other Recent Engagements
- Representing a hospital in a dispute with its insurer over property-damage and business-interruption claims resulting from the repurposing of a building that was delayed more than a year.
- Representing a Medicare Advantage entity in litigation against health-care providers seeking to impose liability for a third party’s alleged breach of down-stream service contracts.
- In four separate cases, representing operators of oil-and-gas wells in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and West Virginia in disputes with their insurance companies over well-control and redrill insurance coverage.
- Representing a midstream oil-and-gas company in a personal injury case involving numerous defendants and spanning several decades.
- Representing a publicly traded oil-and-gas company in a contract dispute with a major drilling company concerning liability for pollution events at two well pads.
- Represented the operator of an off-shore well in contract disputes with a drilling company and a service company concerning a lost well.
- Representing an international oil-and-gas company in a “legacy” lawsuit concerning alleged pollution.
- Representing a public university in high-profile litigation in which the plaintiffs seek to impose liability on the school for the consequences of off-campus, prohibited hazing activities.
- Member, Louisiana State, Federal, and New Orleans Bar Associations
- President of the St. Louis Cathedral Pastoral Council
- President of the Board of Directors of Dumb Ox Ministries
- Vice President for Programs of the St. Junipero Serra Club of New Orleans
News & Recognition
- Mr. Briscoe received the Order of St. Louis medallion in recognition of his leadership and service to the Archdiocese of New Orleans. (2019)
- Mr. Briscoe was honored by the Archdiocese of New Orleans Catholic Schools as the alumnus of the year for Jesuit High School. (2018).
- On their visit to mark the tricentennial of the founding of the City of New Orleans, Mr. Briscoe gave the King and Queen of Spain a tour of the Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis, King of France.
- The United States Fifth Circuit affirmed a federal district court in Houston that ordered an insurance company to pay more than $1 million in penalty interest under the Texas Insurance Code in a well-control insurance coverage dispute. Mr. Briscoe and Harold Flanagan teamed with attorneys from Liskow & Lewis to prevail at trial and on appeal. (September 2015) View appeal
- Mr. Briscoe was profiled in the Clarion Herald. (August 2015)
- Archbishop Gregory Aymond appointed Mr. Briscoe to serve on a ministry focus team for the Archdiocese of New Orleans Ninth General Synod. (October 2014) View article
- Flanagan Partners LLP – Tier 1 ranking in Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Insurance, and Oil & Gas – U.S. News/Best Lawyers (2013-15)
- Louisiana (2005)
- U. S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2010)
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (2009)
- U. S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana (2009)
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana (2011)
The George Washington University Law School, Washington, DC (J.D., 2004)
- Technology Editor, The George Washington International Law Review
- Dean’s Fellow
- Editor in Chief of Nota Bene
Notre Dame Seminary, New Orleans, LA (M.A., summa cum laude, 2019)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., with honors and distinction, 2001)