Sean P. Brady practices principally in the areas of complex business litigation, construction law, insurance law, and civil appeals. His litigation experience has included representation of clients in corporate and shareholder disputes, breach-of-contract matters, residential and commercial construction disputes, employment disputes, insurance coverage and recovery matters, and maritime casualties. His appellate experience includes oral arguments in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Brady graduated magna cum laude from Tulane University Law School in 2006 and was a member of the Order of the Coif. He also served as a managing editor of the Tulane Law Review and was a member of the Tulane Criminal Litigation Clinic. He earned his bachelor of arts degree from Louisiana State University in 2000. He has been admitted to practice before all Louisiana state and federal courts since 2006.
Mr. Brady serves on the Access to Justice and Outreach Committees of the Louisiana State Bar Association. Mr. Brady has also been the co-chair of the New Orleans Bar Association Young Lawyers Section’s Legalpalooza event for several years, which benefits Southeast Louisiana Legal Services.
News & Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation (2016 – 2022).
- Inside New Orleans Readers’ Favorite Elite Lawyers – Commercial Litigator (2021).
- Named in Louisiana Super Lawyers® (2019) and SuperLawyers® Rising Stars list (2013 – 2018).
- Named a member of the 2014-15 Leadership LSBA Class by bar president, Joseph L. Shea, Jr.
- Flanagan Partners LLP – Tier 1 ranking in Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Insurance, and Oil & Gas – U.S. News/Best Lawyers (2013 – 2019).
- Presented paper entitled Business Torts and Commercial Claims 101 at 2016 Louisiana State Bar Association Annual Meeting in Destin, Florida and 2016 Louisiana State Bar Association Summer School.
- Presented paper entitled Effective E-discovery in Modern Commercial Litigation: An introduction to E-discovery Technologies and How to Use Them at the 2017 New Orleans Bar Association end of the year CLE program.
- Defense of an apartment-complex owner in a negligence case alleging failure to provide adequate security. After a three-day jury trial, the jury allocated only 15% fault to Flanagan Partners’ client.
- Represented lender plaintiff in a multi-million-dollar business dispute against a larger bank. After a five-day jury trial and a verdict, the case settled on confidential terms.
- Represented a multinational company in a case against a former executive, who had committed fraud and breached his fiduciary duties. After obtaining a partial summary judgment on liability. Mr. Brady tried the issue of damages to the court. The judge awarded 100% of the damages the company sought, plus interest and costs.
- Represented a national disaster-restoration contractor in a claim of non-payment by a building owner. The claim was tried to the court over two days. The court has issued reasons for judgment awarding the contractor its damages plus attorney’s fees, costs, and disbursements.
- Represented a classic vehicle owner in a claim against a person who agreed to restore the vehicle, but performed almost no work. The claim was tied to the court and a judgment obtained awarding 100% of the damages sought in the petition.
- Successfully defended a business owner and his new company against claims by his former employer. The former employer alleged that the business owner violated a noncompete agreement. It also claimed that the business owner misappropriated trade secrets, committed unfair trade practices, and breached his fiduciary duties. After a two-day trial, the federal court rejected each of these claims. The case settled thereafter.
Recent Business Litigation/Transactional Experience
- Representation of a 50% owner of three businesses in a dispute with his business partner. Successfully negotiated payments to the businesses remaining creditors and the final disposition of the remaining company assets.
- Representation of a developer in sale of general partnership interest in several multi-family housing developments.
Recent Construction Litigation Experience
- Represented several homeowners in construction and design defect claims against contractors and architects.
- Represented a building owner in a construction and design dispute involving a foundation failure at a medical office building.
Other Litigation Experience
- Representing companies that participated in the clean-up effort after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The representation has involved defense of hundreds of personal injury, wage payment, discrimination, and other claims.
- Represented plaintiffs in a case involving allision of an offshore supply vessel and a semi-submersible drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The allision caused tens of millions of dollars in physical and economic damages. The parties entered into a confidential settlement agreement on the morning of trial.
- Represented a former shareholder of an offshore services company in a dispute over responsibility for a company liability.
- Represented a producer and distributor of natural-gas liquids (NGLs) in a maritime proceeding arising out of an explosion and fire caused by a tugboat allision.
- Obtained judgment sustaining an exception of prescription and dismissing all claims of professional negligence against a wholesale insurance broker.
- Successfully represented an excess insurer in a case of late notice by its insured. After a successful appeal to the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on choice-of-law issues, obtained summary judgment for insurer; case settled thereafter.
- Represented a public utility company post-judgment in a case of first impression, obtained a unanimous reversal by the Louisiana Supreme Court of a lower-court opinion construing the Overhead Power Line Safety Act, La. R.S. 45:141–146, in a manner adverse to utility companies’ interests
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association (member of Access to Justice and Outreach Committees)
- Member, 2014 – 2015 Leadership LSBA Class
- Member, New Orleans Bar Association; Co-Chairman, Young Lawyers Section Legalpalooza event
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Associate in the Maritime, Oilfield, and Insurance Coverage section of the law firm Liskow & Lewis, New Orleans (2006 – 2009).